Monday 29 September 2014

Why you haven't heard just how good music can sound.

I'm going to immediately stop and explain that this isn't meant to criticise those that haven't, but hopefully educate as to why you should try to. 

Forget high res, cd, vinyl, whatever. Every format has its pro's and con's. This is a simple education in music and why listening to it on a better system can enhance the listening experience. 

My journey into the hi-fi world has been a long one. It started around eight years ago as it was about then I was introduced to a world outside of what I owned. I used to have a 68cm CRT TV that was so cheap it was a knock off of a knock off. I used to use my dad's old hi-fi that was bought back in 1972. Back then, I had nothing to compare it to and naturally assumed it was pretty good (admittedly back in its prime, it likely would have been).

It was around that time, by sheer pot luck, I managed to get a job working with Pioneer as an installer. An installer of Pioneer plasma TVs. You can probably see where I'm going with this. All day, everyday, I installed premium Pioneer televisions. It created a need I hadn't even realised was there, witnessing the sheer clarity and quality of what lay before me.

My time at Pioneer was unfortunately relatively short lived, but anyone who has read any hi-fi news recently would be aware of the crippling financial troubles Pioneer have been in recently. 

Upon my exit from Pioneer, I started working for JB and lucked out by working in a store with some real audio enthusiasts. They then started opening my eyes (or ears in this case) on the difference between a good system and a great one.

Initially I got swept up in the craze that was home theatre, but over the years I started finding that even with a great home theatre, I just wasn't getting what I wanted from music.

I found myself listening to new albums and thinking they just didn't feel amazing. I wasn't excited, the music just had no life.

My first step was buying a dedicated pair of stereo speakers, a cut above what I had in my home theatre and set them up as a second zone on my home theatre amp so when I switched to the cd/phono inputs, it would automatically switch to the better equipped speakers. This saw a significant improvement, however, they still didn't sing the way I imagined they would.

After moving into the world of 3D TV, I upgraded my then dated AVR to a unit that supported all the latest technologies. I decided to use the previous AVR for a dedicated two channel system. Again, I just found it wasn't great and then I came to the realisation that what I really needed was a stereo amplifier.

I went the whole hog, amp, power amp, CD player/DAC and a nice new turntable.
Suddenly my speakers started to sing! 

When I thought about it, it made sense

I mean if you take a $5000 AVR which has seven channels of amplification and compare it to a $2000 stereo amp with only two channels of amplification, obviously the stereo one will be better, or at least have less internally getting in the way of the signal. Less is more, or so they say.

Lastly, and most recently, I decided that the speakers I had needed to go. I realised that while they sounded far better, they were just missing that sparkle that I longed for. I have since put better ones in their place and now that longing has finally come to a close. It was along and arduous process.

Was it worth it?

In one word, yes. I never used to really find myself sitting down and actually taking time to listen, it was always more of a background thing. When you have a system in place that does the music justice, however... 

Well, last Wednesday alone I spent a good three hours listening and it is at this point I should state that I'm not a middle aged man whose kids have grown up and moved out, I'm 32 years old. I have worked and continue to work in the audio industry for the past eight years. Learning new things on a daily basis.

The point I guess I'm trying to make is expand your horizons. Forget about wireless this or compact that. Have a listen to just how good music can sound, then decide for yourself if that $250 Bluetooth speaker really cuts the mustard. 

You may be surprised on just how much you've been missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment